It was love at first sight when we found our 1964 Chevy pickup. We knew there was going to be some sheetmetal repairs that would have to be done—the hood, floors, and bed all needed work, but as they say, love is blind.

One of the areas that required repair was the left taillight panel. Several severe creases and other damage that couldn't be reached from the backside were going to make getting it straight a real challenge. Then there was another issue. Evidently Chevrolet was not real concerned with quality control in those days, and as long as the taillight panels were on right side up, that was close enough. Neither taillight panel aligned very well with the bed's side and to top it off one was lower than the other was. Given the circumstances we decided to have Jake Brazille, of Jake's Place in Florence, Oregon, install a complete replacement panel from LMC and make both sides the same.

Apparently when these pickup beds were built the end panels were spot welded to the sides, then the stake pocket boxes were installed. That meant there was no way to attach the new taillight panel without tearing the box further apart, which we were not anxious to do—the solution to our dilemma came in the form of Eastwood's Panel Adhesive.

For years the OEMs have been using adhesives to attach various patch panels, including the bedsides on pickups. We didn't have any experience with the stuff, but several body shop owners we spoke to use adhesives regularly and stand behind repairs made with it, so we decided to give it a try.

To begin the repair we cut away the outer portion of the end panel leaving the flanges that were spot welded to the body. Eastwood's spot-weld cutter made quick work of removing the leftover flange.

With the panel removed the remaining flanges on the box were straightened with a hammer and dolly then roughed up with a 36-grit sanding disc to give the adhesive a surface to bite into. A couple of test fits were required to get the alignment we were after—the flanges on the bed had to be ground off slightly to allow the new panel to align with the bedside.

Satisfied with the fit, the next challenge was to hold the new panel in place while the adhesive set. A variety of clamps could be used in the tailgate opening, but for the flanges on the inner surface of the bedside and rear panel we had to get creative. To get into the cramped confines we modified locking pliers by welding 1⁄8x1-inch extensions to the jaws. They're not pretty, but they work.

Happy with the panel's fit, and confident in our ability to clamp it in place, we applied a ¼-inch bead of adhesive to the flange on the bed and put the two together. The adhesive does allow for last-minute adjustments, there is around a 20-minute window before it starts to set.

Temperature is critical when using adhesive, so once we had the taillight panel clamped in place we cranked up the shop heater and walked out the door. The next day the adhesive was set, damage was history, and the panel fit was what is should be—not bad for our first stickup.