Setting up the carbs proved easier than I thought and just as Speedway advertises. Once we got the primary carb adjusted to provide sufficient idle to keep the engine running, it was a simple dance between the secondary carbs with the Uni-Syn and a screwdriver to adjust their idle settings. Back and forth between the three carbs got them all in sync while keeping the idle at a reasonable rpm (we had it down below 800 rpm and it ran like a clock). About 20 minutes after bolting the carbs down, we had them tuned and were running up and down the local "strip" smiling with glee every time those secondary carbs came on, bringing with them a sudden rush of acceleration and that "whoosh" of air as six barrels of carbureted fury suck air and fuel into the engine. The thought of a bolt-on carburetor ready-to-run out of the box based on a 70-year-old design just doesn't seem possible, but it did, and I did it. And if I can do it, Speedway must've made a REALLY nice product, because I can't usually tune a radio let alone a carburetor. So if you're engine compartment is in need of a vintage vibe, check out the Speedway catalog or go online at www.speedwaymotors.com.

Making Hard Lines Easy
I wasn't real happy with the rubber fuel hose setup and decided to take the time to make a few hard lines and clean up the tri-power install. I found a handful of Ford compression fittings to install at the carb inlets from Mac's Antique Auto parts and proceeded to scour the hardware store for the rest. I also decided to get rid of the bulky fuel block with a sleaker 3-in-1 fuel line made from 1/4-inch stainless steel. It was a little tricky welding the three lines together, but with a little patience, I was able to pull it off. The end result is much cleaner and a bit more professional than it was before with all those black hoses.