Legislation (A.B. 859) reintroduced in the California Assembly by Assemblyman Dave Jones (916/319-2009) to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older will be considered by the Assembly Transportation Committee on April 13, 2009. The bill would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. You may recall that in 2004 a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 859.
We Urge You to Call Members of the Assembly Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Oppose A.B. 859
* A.B. 859 ignores the minimal impact vintage cars have on air quality.
* A.B. 859 could entice vintage car owners into allowing these vehicles to be scrapped.
* A.B. 859 ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.
* A.B. 859 ignores the fact that classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven.
* A.B. 859 would increase costs by creating an annual inspection fee for owners of these vehicles.
* A.B. 859 represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars.
Please contact members of the California Assembly Transportation Committee immediately by phone to request their opposition to A.B. 859.
Assembly Transportation Committee
Assembly member Mike Eng - Chair
Assembly member Kevin Jeffries
Assembly member Bob Blumenfield
Assembly member Joan Buchanan
Assembly member Connie Conway
Assembly member Warren Furutani
Assembly member Cathleen Galgiani
Assembly member Martin Garrick
Assembly member Bonnie Lowenthal
Assembly member Jeff Miller
Assembly member Roger Niello
Assembly member John Perez
Assembly member Jose Solorio
Assembly member Tom Torlakson